Sunday, September 30, 2007

Working the Web for Education

In response to Tom March’s Article
Working the Web for Education

I am impressed to read the article, Working the Web for Education: Theory and Practice on Integrating the Web for Learning by Tom March. It opens my mind and taught me the reasons for why people should build a website. The writer also discusses how the web can be used to enhance learning.


Especially I found the discussion about Webbed Educator very useful. I tried to follow the chart by placing myself as a web savvy and follow the chart hierarchy up to the bottom. His idea of promoting learning through multimedia scrapbook really fascinated me. I liked the idea of building knowledge through treasury hunt; solving problems through Web Quest, subject sampler were something new to me.


I will definitely try to implement these at the time building my website. I agree that web is an excellent resource for teaching and learning and it breaking the rule of traditional teaching and learning trend. I was looking through Tom March’s website and found that now people are thinking of using Podcast as a learning tool. What a great idea!


I would say, this is definitively going to rock! The new generation is now so attracted with these web resources that without any doubt, student will welcome podcast as a learning object. Contacting friends through forums, writing and sharing own thoughts through blogging, keep in tough with friends through IM has became part of life for this new generation. What could be more interesting to student other than being able to use these tools as learning objects? It would be great if teachers can implement a web based teaching environment for students, which will include a forum to allow student to involve in open discussion, web-interfaced chat software to allow students to chat with classmates instantly or to get in touch with instructor, a Blog section to help students post their assignment, learning experience and share ideas.


I am eagerly waiting to see its implementation soon. I believe it is not far away…


Nayeem

No comments: